Monday, September 8, 2008

Would Lolo eat at Lo-Lo's?


I hear all the time that "no one is from Arizona, they all just move here." Which at first I took to be slightly derogatory. As if Arizona, too barren or dull to generate life of its own, must rely on adventurers from other, more fertile, lands. As if the populace has no collective experience, just a mish-mash of individual ones.

But then I realized something today as I overheard a few people talking in the office about their favorite Phoenix restaurants. Maybe Phoenix IS just a mish-mash of individuals, but my-oh-my what they all bring to the table! As I eavesdropped on their conversations, I learned where to get the BEST Mexican ("Dick's Hideaway--literally HIDDEN down an alley with no sign and covered completely in ivy), the BEST hamburger ("Big Earl's" in Cave Creek, right off the exit), an--get this--the BEST chicken and waffles. That's right! A chicken-and-waffles joint in Phoenix, Arizona. Did I miss something, or does the Mason-Dixon line make an impromptu gerrymander through Arizona somewhere?

So, without further ado, I give you Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles: http://www.loloschickenandwaffles.com/

I'm pretty sure there's no relation to this guy:



Although, if anybody can make a scrumptious chicken-and-waffle platter, it's Lolo (that golden key opens the waffle batter treasure chest, but watch out for those flying eyeballs--swwwwuuussssssh!).

So this is basically a very long way of saying: maybe nobody is originally from Arizona, but maybe that's a blessing. Because when I can hold a drumstick in one hand and a waffle in another, screw collective experience.

2 comments:

That Shop In Milford said...

Well you know they say that the grass is always greener, but oh wait, Arizona doesn't have grass...does that have anything to do with anything???

LOVE your verbage!!!

Mark said...

Bonus points for referencing Lolo. Negative bonus points for not expounding on the name Dick's Hideaway.