Sunday, September 14, 2008

Meet At the Quarterback




Today's Vikings/Colts game marks one of those rare occasions when you like both teams that take the field. My family has always had a strange allegiance to the Vikings. A following that makes absolutely zero sense considering not one member hails from anywhere near Minnesota. As a teenager growing up in tiny Fairmount, Indiana, my dad and his best bud John took an interest in the Vikes during the era of the Purple People Eaters. A time where the motto of the Vikings defensive line was, "meet at the quarterback." Even after the excitement cooled, my dad and his friend still remained fans.


Most of my dad's family still lives in Indiana, slightly north of Indianapolis. While they still rank the Vikings first, they can't help but root for the home team. No matter if that home team has only been home since relocating from Baltimore in 1984. Who can blame them? (or me...I sure love my Peyton) Cheering more than one team isn't a problem for the most part. Unless they play each other, like today, and then you have to deal with your competing loyalties. So who wins out? The hometown heroes or the first adopted team? Really? COME ON!!! GO VIKINGS!!!!!

No comments: