Thursday, September 25, 2008

Our Rich Uncle

My first reaction to the 700 billion bailout plan was anger. Why should the American people become responsible for the mismanagement, carelessness and downright criminal behavior of private financial entities? Especially when we all know very well how much mercy is shown to those who cannot keep up with the payments of sub-prime mortgages (or any loan for that matter). "Oh certainly Mr. Smith! Just pay when you can! We here at AnyBank understand the hardships you are facing with the climbing interest rates, your recent unemployment, etc., and are willing to work with you until you can pay." Huh? Not a chance! More like, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Nothing personal, just business!" Understanding how unmerciful institutions are to those who cannot pay, it makes my blood-boil to think that the guilty get the bailout. Don't underestimate my understanding of the MANY MANY factors that have contributed to this disaster. It isn't that I am naive in thinking that all consumers are guiltless-----or that all members of the large corporations are GUILTY. But what does make me pause, is the mercy shown to large corporations by the government and the absence of mercy that is given to consumers by the corporations themselves. Unfortunately for many Americans, our rich uncle---Uncle Sam seems only willing to cut the check for large corporations in trouble. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe the government is responsible for paying my debt, I just think if the offer is on the table and is going to happen anyway---maybe it would be better to also consider and help those who really deserve it. Hopefully they will not be forgotten.

Take a look at Glenn Beck's recent commentary on the crisis. He really pinpoints many of my feelings on the issue. Though reading what I just wrote, you might find my choice of agreement a bit mismatched.

No comments: