Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hoosier Daddy

Mesa cancelled their fireworks for the first time in 50 years due to budgetary constraints. Uncle Sam is looking seriously depressed. Oh come on...cheer up! Tempe is still having their annual 4th of July celebration at Tempe Town Lake Festival. And I'm sure most little towns across America will continue to light up the sky with explosive symbols of freedom and independence. Two in particular will be especially close to my heart on Saturday---Fairmount and Summitville Indiana. My daddy's home turf. A place where I first tasted homemade ice cream and fruit pizza. Where the flat Indiana landscape makes it easy to see fireworks from your porch. Last year, Adam, Katie and I drove down from Cleveland. In the midst of furious bar studying, Adam took short breaks to eat picnic food, swim, and dance with us to Eric Clapton (huh?) on the big screen outside. We watched fireworks on Aunt Marcia's deck and fireflies illuminate fields and trees. I belted out songs like America The Beautiful and Yankee Doodle Dandee while others of our group chimed in. So I guess I'm a little sad that I won't be back for one of my favorite holidays. Lucky for me, someone special is getting married in Summitville August 1st. I may miss the fourth, but I still get to celebrate with some of my most favorite people in the U*S*A.

No comments: