Friday, July 10, 2009

Show and Tell

Yesterday, I discovered two "meaningful-to-me" passages through very different sources. My first little treasure came from facebook. I added a NEW friend (I could DIE of happiness) and decided to glance at their info section. Always riveting stuff like, "I love hanging out with my friends, music, giving hugs, exercising and reading." You know, the usual nonsense to let people know that you aren't lazy, stupid or dull. So for the most part, I never find anything worth remembering. BUT THIS TIME...a few lines from C.S. Lewis:

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

On to "meaningful-to-me" passage number two. This next snippet is from a more honorable use of my time: reading a book. In the first few pages of Opera's Second Death, the author relays lines from Monteverdi's Orfeo:

I am Music, who in sweet accents
can calm each troubled heart,
and now with noble anger, now with love,
can kindle the most frigid minds.

This concludes my "meaningful-to-me" show and tell. Next time, I'm bringing a pony.

1 comment:

That Shop In Milford said...

"I am music...." ". . .and I write the songs. I write the songs that make the young girls sing, I write the songs of love and special things..."